Words: Unknown author, probably 6th or 7th Century (Urbs Beata Hierusalem, Dicta Pacis). Translated from Latin to English by John M. Neale in Mediaeval Hymns, 1851.
Blessèd city, heavenly Salem,
Vision dear of peace and love,
Who of living stones art builded
In the heights of Heaven above,
And, with angel host encircled,
As a bride to earth dost move.
From celestial realms descending,
Bridal glory round thee shed,
Meet for Him whose love espoused thee,
To thy Lord shalt thou be led;
All thy streets and all thy bulwarks
Of pure gold are fashionèd.
Bright with pearls her portals glitter
They are open evermore;
And, by virtue of His merits,
Thither faithful souls may soar,
Who for Christ’s dear name in this world
Pain and tribulation bore.
Many a blow and biting sculpture
Fashioned well those stones elect,
In their places now compacted
By the heavenly Architect,
Who therewith hath willed forever
That his palace should be decked.
Grant that all Thy faithful people
May Thy truer temple be;
Neither flesh, nor soul, nor spirit,
Know another Lord than Thee;
But to Thee once dedicated
Serve Thee ever lastingly.
Come Thou now, and be among us,
Lord and Maker, while we pray;
Let Thy presence fill the temple
Which we dedicate today,
And Thyself, as consecrator,
Dwell within its walls always.
Glory to thy royal Bridegroom,
Salem, sing rejoicingly;
He, thy Lord, thy light, thy temple,
Dwelleth ever more with thee;
His be blessing and thanksgiving,
Now and to eternity.