Born: September 9, 1865, Ventnor, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England.
Died: September 24, 1934, Hollywood, California.
Buried: Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California.
Lemare was the son of music seller Edwin Lemare.
Lemare received his early musical training as a chorister and organist under his father at Holy Trinity Church, Ventnor.
He was awarded the Goss scholarship at Britain’s Royal Academy of Music (RAM) in 1876. There he studied under George A. Macfarren, Walter C. Macfarren, Charles Steggall and Edmund Turpin. He later became a fellow of the RAM and the Royal College of Organists.
He played the organ at St. John the Evangelist’s, Brownswood Park; St. Andrew’s Church, and Public Hall, Cardiff, Wales; the Parish Church, Sheffield (1886); Holy Trinity Church, Ventnor; and St. Margaret’s Church, Westminster.
He made a recital tour of Canada and America in 1900, and also toured Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, where he helped design organs for the Auckland Town Hall.
He played the organ at the Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (1902–15), and gave recitals at the Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, California, in 1915.
He served as municipal organist in San Francisco (1917–21) and Portland, Maine (1921).