Born: May 4, 1835, Nottingham, England.
Died: October 25, 1907, St. Giles, England.
Buried: Highgate Cemetery, London, England.
Edmund was the son of lace maker James Turpin. He married twice, to Sarah Anne Watson (1857), and Sarah Hobbs (1905).
He studied under Charles Noble, organist at St. Mary’s Church in Nottingham, and John P. Hullah and Ernst Pauer in London.
In 1847, at age 11, he became the organist at Friar Lane Congregational Church, Nottingham. He later played at St. Barnabas Catholic Church, Nottingham (1850–64); St. George’s Church, Bloomsbury (1869–88); and St. Bride’s Church, Fleet Street (1888).
He was also Band Master to the Robin Hood Rifles, a unit of the Volunteer Force of the British Army and Territorial Force.
He gave his first public recital at the Great Exhibition of 1851, received his Lambeth DMus in 1889, became Warden of the Trinity College of Music in 1892, and served as Honorary Secretary of the Royal College of Organists (1875–1907). In 1891 and 1901, he was listed as a Professor of Music.