April 30, 1820, Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, England.
October 24, 1885, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Ely Cathedral, Ely, England.
Woodford was educated at Merchant Taylors School and at Pembroke College, Cambridge, of which he was a scholar (BA Senior Optime, 2nd class in the Classical Tripos). He was ordained in 1843, and became second Master at Bishop’s College, Bristol, and Curate of St. John the Baptist, Broad Street, Bristol He became Incumbent of St. Saviour’s, Coalpit Heath, 1845; of St. Mark’s, Easton, Bristol, 1848; and Vicar of Kempsford, Gloucestershire, 1855. In 1868, the Crown preferred him to the vicarage of Leeds upon Dr. Atlay’s appointment as Bishop of Hereford.
Woodford was several times Select Preacher at Cambridge, and was also Hon. Chaplain to the Queen (1867). In 1873, he was consecrated in Westminster Abbey as Bishop of Ely. He also founded the Ely Theological College. His works include: