August 29, 1809, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
October 7, 1894, Boston, Massachusetts.
Mount Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Son of Congregational minister Abiel Holmes, Oliver taught anatomy and physiology at Harvard Medical School, where he eventually became dean. However, he is perhaps best remembered as an author, and as father of American Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. In addition, with James Lowell, he helped found The Atlantic Monthly magazine in 1857. Holmes’ works include:
- Old Ironsides, 1830
- The Chambered Nautilus, 1858
- The Autocrat of the Breakfast Table
- The Professor at the Breakfast Table, 1859
- Songs in Many Keys, 1861
- Angel of Peace
- Behold Not Him We Knew
- Father of All Life, Near and Far
- Father of Mercies, Heavenly Friend
- God Bless Our Fathers’ Land
- Land Where the Banners Wave Last in the Sun
- Lord of All Being
- Lord of All Life, Below, Above
- Lord, Thou Hast Led Us as of Old
- Not Charity We Ask
- Not in the World of Light Alone
- O Lord of Hosts, Almighty King
- O Love Divine, That Stooped to Share
- Our Father, While Our Hearts Unlearn
- Soon Shall the Slumbering Morn Awake
- Sun of Our Life, Thy Quickening Ray
- This Is the Ship of Pearl
- Thou Gracious Power
- Though Scattered Far the Flock May Stray
- Triple Health to Friendship, Science, Art, A
- Waves Unbuild the Wasting shore, The
- We Trust and Fear, We Question and Believe
- What Flower Is This That Greets?
- Who Is the Shepherd Sent to Lead?