November 21, 1837, Batavia, New York.
September 5, 1900, Batavia, New York.
Batavia Cemetery, Batavia, New York.
Yates worked at a number of jobs, including shoe salesman, newspaper editor, and hardware store manager. He became a Methodist minister in 1886, and later pastor of the West Bethany Free Will Baptist Church. His works include:
- Faith Is the Victory
- Harbor Bell, The
- Holy Spirit, Lead Us Now
- Long Years Ago One Winter’s Night
- Model Church, The
- O Christian, Speed Thee on Thy Way
- O Refreshing Times Are Coming
- O the Beautiful Hills of the By-and-By
- O the Mansions of Light
- O Welcome Hour of Prayer
- Old Book Stands, The
- Our Name’s in Heaven
- Room for Jesus
- Secret Place, The
- Story That Never Grows Old, The
- This I Know
- Victorious Love
- We Are Coming, Precious Savior
- Without Thee, My Savior