1779-1831
portrait

July 11, 1779, Sanquhar, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, where his father, John Thomson, was minister .

February 9, 1831, Edinburgh, Scotland.

St. Cuthbert’s Church, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Thomson was educated at the parish school of Markinch, Fife, after his father had moved there, and at Edinburgh University, which he left in 1800. He was licensed to preach by the presbytery of Kelso, but before receiving a clerical post was schoolmaster at Markinch. In 1802, he became parish minister at Sprouston, Roxburghshire. In 1808, he was transferred to the East Church, Perth; in 1810 to New Greyfriars, Edinburgh; and in 1814, on the opening of the church, moved within the city to St. George’s, staying there the rest of his life.

Thomson’s works include:

  1. Redemption
  2. St. George’s Edinburgh