December 22, 1839, Redbarns, Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
July 6, 1912.
City of London Cemetery, Newham, London.
Stephenson was educated at Wesley College, Sheffield, and subsequently graduated at the University of London. In 1860, he entered the Wesleyan ministry, and served in Norwich, Manchester, Bolton and London. He founded the Children’s Home at Number 8 Church Street, near Waterloo Station in London, on July 9, 1869. The home moved to larger premises at Bonner Road, Bethnal Green, in 1871 and was then able to accommodate girls as well as boys. In 1907, the organization became known as the National Children’s Home and Orphanage, reflecting its nationwide growth and expansion. Stephenson retired as Principal in 1900, retiring fully in 1907.