March 18, 1821, St. Marylebone, England.
July 13, 1891, Howley Place, Paddington, England.
Charles was the nephew of Catherine Stephens, Countess of Essex.
He studied under Cipriani Potter, J. A. Hamilton, and Henry Blagrove. He joined the Royal Society of Musicians in 1843, and the Philharmonic Society in 1857 (and was later its director).
He played the organ at St. Mark’s, Middleton Square; Holy Trinity, Paddington (1846); St. Mark’s, Hamilton Terrace (1862); and St. Saviour’s, Paddington (1872–75). He also served as examiner for musical degrees at Cambridge University in 1880.