March 31, 1860, in a gypsy tent in Epping Forest (near London), England.
August 4, 1947, on board the Queen Mary.
Fresh Pond Crematory and Columbarium, Queens, New York.
A world famous evangelist in his time, Smith made over 40 tours in America, Australia, and elsewhere:
I’m God’s messenger from the gypsy tent. And it’s the message that’s important, not the messenger. The way to Jesus is not by Cambridge and Oxford, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Socrates, Plato, Shakespeare or the poets—It is over an old-fashioned hill called Calvary.
Smith’s works include:
- Gipsy Smith: His Life and Work, 1909
- Your Boys (New York: George H. Doran, 1918)
- Special Gospel Songs (Chicago, Illinois: Rodeheaver Company, 1931)
- Almost a Christian
- Beautiful Land of My Dreams, The
- Beyond Earth’s Sorrows
- City Where Cometh No Night, The
- Do Not Disappoint Your Mother
- God So Loved the World
- He Is Coming Back Again
- He Knows
- He Wants to Be Your Savior, Too
- Holy Spirit from Above
- I Will Lift Up Mine Eyes
- I Will Sing of His Mercies
- Jesus, Revealed to Me
- Light of the Cross, The
- Not Dreaming
- Numberless Blessings
- Song of Praise, A
- There’s a Rainbow in the Clouds for You
- Will You Meet Me in the Homeland
- Write a Letter to Your Mother