February 15, 1850, Preston County, West Virginia.
November 27, 1933, Morgantown, West Virginia.
Oak Grove Cemetery, Morgantown, West Virginia.
Daniel was the son of Jesse Martin Purinton and Nancy Alden Lyon, and husband of Florence Abbie Lyon.
He was educated at West Virginia University, Morgantown (WVU) (BA 1873, MA 1876), and the University of Nashville, Tennessee (doctorate). At WVU, he taught in the Preparatory Department (1873–78), logic (1878–80), mathematics (1880–84), metaphysics (1885–89), and vocal music (1873–89). Purinton supported the education of women, and in 1889 proposed that WVU admit women as degree candidates. His sister-in-law, Harriet Lyon, was the first woman to graduate from WVU.
Purinton became vice-president and acting president of WVU in 1881. In 1890, he left to become president of Denison College in Granville, Ohio. He returned to WVU in 1901, and served as both president and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences until July 31, 1911. He was also president of the West Virginia Baptist General Assembly and the Ohio Baptist Education Society.
Purinton’s works include:
- Christian Theism: Its Claims and Sanctions (New York & London: G. P. Putnam’s Sons, 1889)
- At the Palace Gate Confessing
- Beyond the Rolling Sea
- Beyond This Vale of Sense and Sin
- Bring in the Children, One and All
- Christmas Bells Are Chiming Merrily
- Come, O Come to Jesus
- Far Away From Home We Wander
- Glowing in the Sunlight
- God, Our Father, Bids Us Proclaim
- Haste Thee, Pilgrim, on Thy Journey
- Hear the Savior Gently Calling
- Held in the Arms of the Father’s Love
- Holy Spirit, Now Descend
- I Know in Whom I Have Believed
- If Graven on Thy Palm, Dear Lord
- If the Savior Journey with Me
- In the Name of Jesus Marching On
- Is It Nothing to Thee?
- Jesus Loves the Children
- Keep the Love Light Ever Shining
- Life, Love and Labor
- Lord, I Am Longing to Be
- My Savior Bids Me Bravely Fight
- O Mother Dear, Jerusalem
- O the Friend That You Need Is Jesus
- O’er the Rolling Waves of the Ocean
- O the Rushing Tide of the Rolling Years
- On a Still, Clear Night
- On to the Conflict, Battle for the Right
- On to the Victory, Brave Hearted
- Say, Shall We Meet?
- Shall We Meet One Another?
- Take, Blessed Jesus, My Hand in Thine
- There’s One Little Word
- Though the Wind and the Gale
- We Are a Little Pilgrim Band
- We Are Soldiers of the Lord
- Weeping Will Not Save Me
- Welcome the Tidings
- We’re a Little Pilgrim Band
- When Dreary My Way
- When I Am Weary
- When Jesus Lives Within
- When Jesus Proclaimed His Evangel to Earth
- When the Day Is Ended and the Night Has Come