March 10, 1830, Fairfield County, Ohio.
February 10, 1912, Delaware, Ohio.
Oak Grove Cemetery, Delaware, Ohio.
Tullius was the son of James O’Kane and Julia A. Williams, and husband of Laura A. Eaton.
He received his AB degree from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1852, and his AM degree in 1855. Immediately upon graduation, he accepted a position at the university as a math tutor. Even though he was only a tutor, the students always referred to him as
In addition, in recognition of his musical abilities, O’Kane was for years the musical precentor in the daily chapel devotions. He also organized and ran a choral society at the school, and was the first musical instructor in the Ohio Wesleyan Female College. In 1857, O’Kane became a school principal in Cincinnati, Ohio.
In 1864, he went to work for the Philip Phillips piano company. He stayed with the company until it moved to New York in 1867, at which time he moved to Delaware, Ohio, and became a traveling salesman for the Smith American Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts. During that time he visited conferences and Sunday school conventions, and became well known throughout the area.
O’Kane’s works include: