October 17, 1833, West Hackney, London, England.
December 23, 1899, Portsea, Hampshire, England.
Matson was educated first under the Rev. J. M. Gould, and then at St. John’s College, Cambridge. Subsequently, he studied under Professor Nesbitt at the Agricultural and Chemical College, Kennington. In 1853, he underwent a great spiritual change.
Leaving the Church of England, he first joined the Methodist New Connexion body, then the Congregationalists.
After theological training, he entered the ministry and held several pastorates, including Havant, Hampshire; Gosport; Highbury; Portsmouth, and others. He retired in 1897. His works include: