May 17, 1847, Worcester, Massachusetts.
November 4, 1924, Farmingdale, New York.
Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York.
Luther attended Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, and was a journalist and lay evangelist before being ordained a Baptist minister in 1886. He served at the First Baptist Church in Bridgeport, Connecticut (1891–93). His wife was Emma Isadora Shaw (1849–1932). Luther wrote about 25 hymns, and compiled Temple Chimes.
His obituary in the Brooklyn Eagle, 6 Nov 1924, page 22, reportedly stated that he was a lineal descendant of Martin Luther and of Charles Carroll, a signer of the American Declaration of Independence.
- All Down the Ages Sounding
- All Glory to God in the Highest
- All Glory to Jesus, Sin’s Debt Is All Paid
- All the Way Home My Savior Is Guiding
- Awake, Ye Saints, the Night Is Ending
- Beautiful Beckoning Hands
- Christ Is Coming, O the Promise Given Us
- Christ Is Coming! Promise Glorious
- Come, Holy Spirit, Source of Light
- Deep Mired in Sin, and Dark the Night
- Draw Near, O God, to Me
- Gathering Home from Every Land
- Going Away Redeemed Tonight
- Going Away Unsaved Tonight
- Going Home, How Bright, How Glorious
- Hallelujah for the Fountain Deep and Wide
- Hark, the Savior Calls to Thee
- Heavenly Father, for Large Blessing
- Heavenly Father, Give Thy Spirit
- Ho, Ye Reapers, to the Harvest
- I Am with Thee Every Hour
- I Have Found in Christ My Savior
- Jesus Is Tenderly Calling, Wanderer
- Jesus, My Lord, Has Heard My Cry
- Must I Go, and Empty Handed?
- Nearer Home, O Blessed Thought
- O Precious Story, Ever New
- O We Shall Meet Beyond the Tide
- O Where Are the Dear Ones We Never Forget?
- Others Beside, O Joyful Assurance
- So Near to the Kingdom, and Yet Thou Dost Lack
- Swiftly Approaching and Coming to All
- When We All Get Home
where to get a better photo of Luther