December 31, 1826, Shrewsbury, England.
October 20, 1904, Worthing, England.
Hiles was educated at Oxford (BMus 1862, DMus 1867). He played the organ at Shrewsbury, as his brother’s deputy (1846); Saint Nicholas, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland, (1847); St. Michael’s, Wood Street (1859); the Blind Asylum, Manchester (1859); Bowden (1861); and St. Paul’s, Manchester (1863–67). He lectured in harmony and composition at Owen’s College in Manchester (1867) and Victoria University (1879), and was Professor at the Manchester College of Music (1893). He also conducted musical societies in Lancashire and Yorkshire, and owned and edited the Quarterly Music Review (1885–88). He retired in 1904, moving to Pinner, near Harrow. His works include:
Hiles’ burial place