January 18, 1793, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England.
April 19, 1870, Leamington, Warwickshire, England.
Priory Church of St. Peter, Astley, Worcestershire, England.
William was the father of hymnist Frances Havergal. He married twice, to Jane Head (1816) and Caroline Ann Cooke (1851).
He was educated at Merchant Taylors School, Northwood, Hertfordshire, and St. Edmund Hall, Oxford (BA 1815, MA 1819).
He was ordained a deacon in 1816, and priest in 1817. He held three rectorships: Astley, Worcestershire (1829); St. Nicholas, Worcester (1842); and Shareshill, near Wolverhampton (1860).
The epitaph on Havergal’s white marble tomb:
The Rev. William Henry Havergal, M.S.,
Vicar of Shareshill and Hon. Canon of Worcester Cathedral.
Died at Leamington, 19th April 1870, aged 77.
Curate 7, and Rector 13 years, of this parish, 1822 to 1843.
A faithful minister in the Lord (Eph. Vi. 21).
Memorial tablets to him were placed in Worcester Cathedral, St. Nicholas and Shareshill churches.