Born: July 12, 1822, Suffield, Connecticut.
Died: December 28, 1904, Syracuse, New York.
Buried: Oakwood Cemetery, Syracuse, New York.
Milton was the son of John Wilkes Hanchett and Margaretta Granger, and husband of Martha Anna Huntington. His family came to the Onondaga Valley around 1824, and he later settled in Syracuse.
Hanchett worked with his father and brother John in the drug business and afterward practiced dentistry. He patented an improved dental chair and a tone sustaining pedal for pianos.
He was a member of the Syracuse Musical Union and organist at the First Ward Presbyterian, St. Paul’s, Plymouth and Fourth Presbyterian churches, also acting as choirmaster and sometimes tenor soloist.
He was a director of the Franklin Institute, twice president of the Young Men’s Christian Association, and vice president of the New York State Banking Company.