April 13, 1836, New Hampton, New Hampshire.
February 2, 1895, Boston, Massachusetts.
Forest Hills Cemetery, Jamaica Plain, Boston, Massachusetts.
Adoniram was the son of John Calvin Gordon and Sally Tilton Robinson, and husband of Maria T. Hale. He was named after Burma missionary Adoniram Judson.
He attended Brown University and Newton Theological Seminary, and was ordained a Baptist minister in 1863. He served at the Baptist church in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, then at the Clarendon Street Baptist Church in Boston.
His works include:
- The Service of Songs for Baptist Churches, 1871
- The Vestry Hymn and Tune Book (Boston, Massachusetts: Henry A. Young & Company, 1872)
- The Coronation Hymnal, with Arthur Pierson (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: American Baptist Publication Society, 1894)
- Behold, O God, Thy Chosen Race
- Cast All Thy Care upon the Lord
- Even So, Lord Jesus, Come
- Good Morning in Glory
- He Shall Reign from Sea to Sea
- Help Me to Be Holy
- I Do Believe, I Now Believe
- I Saw One Toiling in the Way
- I Shall See the King in His Beauty
- Night Is Fast Passing, The
- O Blessed Paraclete
- O Church of Christ, Behold at Last
- O Holy Ghost, Arise
- On Thy Bosom Let Me Lean
- There Is a Land Far Out of Sight
- Thy Way and Not Mine
- Where Art Thou, Soul? I Hear God Say
- Ye Sad Watch Who Are Keeping
- In Tenderness He Sought Me