1822-1902
portrait

June 3, 1822, Hartford, Connecticut.

August 27, 1902, New York City.

Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford, Connecticut.

portrait

Gallaudet was ordained to the diaconate June 16, 1850, and became an Episcopal priest in 1851. Among his achievements was the founding of St. Ann’s Church for Deaf Mutes in New York City in 1852, which in effect launched the Episcopalian mission to the deaf. He also founded the Gallaudet Home for Deaf-Mutes, near Poughkeepsie, New York, in 1885.

Note: Gallaudet is often confused with his father, Dr. Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, founder of the first American school for the deaf.

  1. Day of Days, The
  2. Jesus, in Sickness and in Pain