June 14, 1837, Bristol, England.
September 9, 1898, Cheddar, Axbridge, Somerset, England.
St. Andrew’s Church, Cheddar, Somerset, England.
Dix’ father, a surgeon, wrote a biography of poet Thomas Chatterton, and gave his son his middle name in his honor.
William attended the Bristol Grammar School. Later, he managed a marine insurance company in Glasgow, Scotland, but his heart was in the poetry of worship. He wrote more than 40 hymns over the course of his life. His works include:
- Hymns of Love and Joy, 1861
- Altar Songs, Verses on the Holy Eucharist, 1867
- Abyssinian Hymns, 1867
- A Vision of All Saints (London: John Hodges, 1871)
- Seekers of a City, 1878
- The Pattern Life (London: Griffith, Farran, Okeden & Welsh, 1885)
- Alleluia! Sing to Jesus!
- As with Gladness, Men of Old
- Beauteous Are the Flowers of Earth
- Christians, Carol Sweetly
- Come unto Me, Ye Weary
- Cross Is on Thy Brow, The
- Easter Stanzas
- God Cometh, Let the Heart Prepare
- How Long, O Lord, How Long, We Ask
- In Our Work and in Our Play
- In the Hollow of Thine Hand
- Jesu, Sion’s King, We Greet Thee
- Joy Fills Our Inmost Hearts Today!
- Lift Up Your Songs, Ye Angel Choirs
- Lift Up Your Songs, Ye Thankful
- Like Silver Lamps in a Distant Shrine
- Now in Numbers Softly Flowing
- Now, My Soul, Rehearse the Story
- Now, O Father, We Adore Thee
- O Christ, Thou Son of Mary
- O Cross Which Only Canst Allay
- O Thou, the Eternal Son of God
- On the Waters Dark and Drear
- Only One Prayer Today
- Sitting at Receipt of Custom
- Song of the First Christmas Night, A
- Stars Above Our Head, The
- To Thee, O Lord, Our Hearts We Raise
- Way of Sorrows, The
- What Child Is This?
- When the Shades of Night Are Falling
- Within the Temple’s Hallowed Courts
- As Those Who Seek the Break of Day
- Bend to Our Hymns, Redeemer
- Wonder Working Master, The
If you have a good quality portrait-style photo of Dix, or know where to get one, would you send us an e-mail?
We understand there is a good portrait of Dix in The Illustrated London News, September 24, 1898, but have been unable to find that issue online. Please note: We have no budget to make purchases; we are looking for an image we can legally download.