Born: December 22, 1831, Martley, Worcestershire, England.
Died: February 17, 1884, Folkestone, Kent, England.
Buried: Cheriton Road Cemetery, Folkestone, Kent, England.
Charles was the son of Henry Blayds, some time vicar of South Stoke, Oxfordshire (who took the name of Calverley in 1852).
Charles entered Harrow School in 1846, then passed to Oxford, but coming under the censure of the authorities, he moved to Cambridge in 1852.
After gaining some of the best classical prizes of that University, he graduated first class in Classical honors.
In due course he was called to the Bar and followed the Northern circuit. He is known to hymnody through several translations from the Latin, which he made for the Hymnary in 1871, and were published therein in 1872.