February 26, 1773, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England.
June 24, 1822, Leicester, England.
A Baptist layman, Burton wrote a number of hymns, and helped compile the Nottingham Sunday School Union Hymn Book in 1810. This hymnal went through 20 editions over the next half century. His other works include:
- Youth’s Monitor in Verse, in a Series of Little Tales, Emblems, Poems and Songs, 1802
- Hymns for Sunday-Schools, or Incentives to Early Piety
- The Young Plantation
- The Shubbery
- Holy Bible, Book Divine
- Holy Father, Send Thy Blessing
- Mine to Chide Me When I Rove
- O Thou That Hearest Prayer
- Pilgrims We Are and Strangers
- Time Is Winging Us Away