1835, Hampstead Norreys, Berkshire, England.
July 9, 1904, Reading, England.
John was the son of John Blissard (Curate and Vicar of Hampstead Norreys for 46 years), and husband of Emily Caroline, eldest daughter of W. H. Stevens, Curate of Stoke next Guildford (married 1862, Farnham, Surrey).
He was educated at St. John’s College, Cambridge (like his father), taking his degree as a wrangler in 1858. Shortly after graduation, he was appointed mathematical master at Cheam College, which prepared boys for Eton and Harrow.
In 1860, he was appointed Curate of St. John’s, Tunbridge Wells, where he started Sunday schools during his two year tenure. In 1862 he became Curate of Old Edgbaston, and in 1868, Vicar of St. Augustine’s, Edgbaston, Birmingham, serving there until 1903. In December 1892, he became rural dean of Birmingham.
He also served for 20 years as one of the honorary secretaries of the Hospital Sunday Collections Committee and as chairman of the Committee of Management of the Queen’s Hospital.
He was also chairman for many years of the Magdalen Institution, and was one of the founders of the University Graduates’ Club, founded in Birmingham in 1865, and of
The Mendicity Society (later renamed the Charity Organisation Society).
Blissard’s works include: