1808-1884

August 24, 1808, near Leith, Scotland.

December 20, 1884, Pinkieburn, Musselburgh, East Lothian, Scotland.

Son of William Alexander, a merchant of Leith, William studied at the Universities of Edinburgh and St. Andrews, then became, in 1828, Classical Tutor in what later became The Lancashire College. After studying in Halle, Germany, in 1835 he became minister of the North College Street Church in Edinburgh. In 1861, he moved with his congregation to a new church in George IV Bridge, called the Augustine Church. He retired from that pastoral charge in 1877.

In 1846, Alexander received a DD degree from the University of St. Andrews, and in 1884 that of LLD from Edinburgh. From 1854-1881, he was a professor at the Scottish Congregational Hall. In 1870, he became a member of the Old Testament Revision Company. He wrote and edited a number of theological works. His other works include:

  1. Spirit of Power